Monday, January 12, 2009

We've Arrived


Changepot, the original found money blog maintained by a family from Staten Island, got written up in today's NY Daily News (in the Money Section, naturally). Local NBC news also picked up the story. Update: and so did Gothamist - now the hits and hipsters are really checking in.

Foundmoolah.blogspot.com got a mention too and all three of my piggy banks made the photo. The caption isn't strictly correct because I don't limit finds to the street - like the Humphreys from Staten Island - I'll pick it up from just about anywhere I find it.  

Today I found a penny but it was frozen solid into some dirt near the base of a tree.  I can't decide if I should go back with a cup of hot water or a screw-driver but I think just I'll wait for a thaw, it's 26F out there.

What have you found lately?  Quarters, fins, sawbucks, c-notes? What's the most you've ever found?

Update:  I found one penny dangerously close to where my dog was lifting his leg, which is one reason more people don't pick them up, and another one at the gate of the dog run.

Total haul today = .02

TOTAL to date = $16.85

11 comments:

Baxter said...

Just when you think there's a blog for and about everything......

What's next, a blog about finding buttons?

Seriously though, I find this quirky blog interesting. I will follow your progress until I die or until you reach $100,000 (whichever comes first).

Mame said...

I have a blog about finding buttons! It's called byebyebutton.blogspot.com!

Thanks for your comment, Joe. I hope we make to a hundred grand together. And hope to see you around here some more.

Baxter said...

Mame,

Wow. You really do have a finding buttons blog! That's hysterical.

One question for you. Do you actively look for money, or do you find money just by going through your normal day to day activities?

FWIW, I once found a dollar near Union Square (next to Starbucks).

Anyway, I'll continue to monitor your progress. Good luck!

Joe

Christopher said...

I have been looking for a large envelope filled with $100s. Finders keepers.

Anonymous said...

i just saw the article in the Daily News and i was like, who is this gorgeous woman, wow!

Mame said...

If you find it - it's mine! I just lost it.

Douglas Hoover said...

You know, Mame, you've inspired me to supplement my art career... by looking for money on the ground. Thanks for your blogs! I enjoy them all. ~D.

Anonymous said...

I really like your idea! I saw your article in the Daily News today. You said you didn't know quite what to spend the money on when you reached your goal. I had a suggestion... You mentioned you have two daughters. While parents always think about their children's education, as you probably already have, and probably have already started to plan for, many parents don't think about their daughter's weddings. Your girls are helping you, correct? Why not save the money for their weddings some day?? Just a suggestion! Good luck!

Mame said...

Oh, hang on! I only have one child - the other woman blogger in the article, Barbara Humphrey, has two. And she's the one who said she didn't know what she'd spend her findings on. Mine's already gone, honey! Right into the piggy banks and then into the banks accounts and then right out of the bank accounts. Whoosh. Poof. Gone.

Lynda Jao said...

This is hilarious and absolutely perfect. I just started up a blog about saving money. My title is "A Penny Saved is a Penny and a Half Earned". I'm going to point all of my readers to your blog because I think you really take that motto to heart. You go girl! Check out www.pennyandahalfearned.com - I'll be posting an entry about you tonight.

Moya said...

Mame! I found your blog after gothamist blogged about it! How are you doing? we need to catch up!